above photo: source unknown
Exposed brick walls. How do I love these...? Let me count the ways:
- A good brick wall conjures up a sense of history in a home. The more aged the brick looks, the better.
- A brick wall needs no adornment. It stands alone, naked, and still looks great.
- A brick wall is the perfect feature wall. How can your eyes not be drawn to its strength and character?
- Warm colour is added to the room naturally. Brick warms up the space, so even an all white palette seems cozy.
photo source: Country Living
- A brick feature wall makes a statement. Everything looks better against it, and it is the perfect backdrop for a great chandelier/lighting fixture, a stand-out piece of furniture, a great flooring material. Basically, it is the starting point to an amazing room.
- A brick wall naturally looks better uncluttered. It is the pattern, texture, colour - and it invites more, but in a restrained way. It can hold court with other great elements, but not too many. In essence, a textured wall - like brick- coaxes the eye to steer clear of visual clutter. It is our job to take the less is more cue.
***Note to self: Add a brick wall to my dream home list. What's on your list?